Help Fight Judonia!

Please help sustain EAAZI in the battle against Jewish Zionist transnational political economic manipulation and corruption.

For more info click here or here!

Wednesday, May 06, 2009

BELIEFNET: Can Muslims Celebrate Mother's Day?

Because of the ongoing Islamophobic effort to marginalize Muslims as un-American and incompatible with Western culture and society, the following article in which a Muslim author supports the celebration of Mother's Day is worth reading. His original reservations about Mother's Day are hardly specific to Islam. The ultra-orthodox Jewish Chabad organization has been trying to create a Jewish Mother's Day to be celebrated by Jews in lieu of the "goyish" Mother's Day. See Jewish Mother's Day.
Can Muslims Celebrate Mother's Day?
by Hesham A. Hassaballa

There was a time in my life when I thought Mother's Day to be a holiday of the "infidels," not worthy of celebration by a Muslim. Time and wisdom have taught me otherwise. Mother's Day is an American cultural practice that is wholly consistent with Islam's principles.

The Qur'an places kindness to the parents on par with proper worship of God: "Worship and serve God, do not associate any partners with Him, and do good to your parents..."(4:36). The textual juxtaposition of worshipping God and honoring the parents is not coincidental. Maltreatment of parents is one of the most deadly sins in all of Islam. Furthermore, God implores believers to extend the hand of mercy to their parents: "Thy Lord hath decreed that ye worship none but Him, and that ye be kind to parents. Whether one or both of them attain old age in thy life, say not to them a word of contempt, nor repel them, but address them in terms of honour. And, out of kindness, lower to them the wing of humility, and say: 'My Lord! bestow on them thy Mercy even as they cherished me in childhood'" (17:23-24).

After God, my mother has been the source of my strength, my success, my life-force. Everything I am I owe to her. She taught me how to be a man; how to be a husband; how to be a father; how to be a son. Most importantly, she gave me God, and she taught me how to worship and see Him in everything that I do. She ingrained in me the importance of developing a personal relationship with God and developing that relationship throughout my life. Had it not been for my mother, I most probably would not have either known or discovered the beauty of the worship and love of God.

To read the entire article, click here.

Sphere: Related Content